Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mary and Martha

Was Mary Mary because she sat at Jesus feet? Was Martha not Mary because she was doing stuff?

Not in my opinion.

Many years ago I studied this out. But until this morning it was still a struggle for me. I am not a sitter. Some people are created for motion and for doing. I'm one of those.

When I studied this - 199o or 91 - the word that caught my attention was the word part. Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better PART. I checked that word in the Strong's and the meaning was partake. Mary partook of Jesus as she sat with him. She partook of his very self and nature.

Still have I have struggled because I am not a sitter and in recent years the trend was to put emphasis on sitting - various forms of it. But I move and do. My meditations take place as I move and do. Whether sitting or moving I must look into his face in order to be changed - transformed - into his likeness. I see his face in my life. I see his face in the circumstances of my life as I move and do. When I can't I tend to despair but as soon as the veil of my own incorrect seeing, my own incorrect reasoning is pulled back and I can see him and receive him then I can do what this heart in this busy body wants to do. I receive him and partake of his nature and I am changed.

I've been working on another layer of an old old...old problem. I've been on the verge of tears for a few days now. My emotions ready to spill over.

Today I woke up early and I guess Father wanted to talk about this issue. So we talked but there seemed to be no resolution. Even as I was finishing up my preps for getting on with my day - telling him I had to quit crying because I had to go to work - the answer came. In a moment in a twinkling of an eye - change....transformation? Change - yes, right now a changed mind..... transformation that is happening - an ongoing phenomenon.

In the midst of my busyness as I prepared for the day I partook of Jesus and now I understand something I didn't understand before and I know that what my mind was declaring out of years of hurt is not true. It wasn't a new revelation. It was a building upon the word he spoke to me in Kansas City that got to the root of my inability to trust him.

Eyes in the wrong place.

Incorrect thinking.

Jesus is the truth and the truth sets me free but it must get past my mind and touch the lie that lives in my inner being. That is partaking of him and giving him the freedom to transform me into his likeness. I can do this sitting or moving.

My interpretation of Mary and Martha is that those two women are types of our heart. Some hearts are facing Jesus and partaking of him no matter what's going on. Some hearts are too busy to take the time to allow him to transform them.

I don't know - other hearts are not mine to judge. But I am confident this morning that my heart is facing HIM and that I am being transformed and that the life and vitality of my whole self is coming from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment